I was hoping to have a confirmation by now on the dates of the summit but we are a bit delayed in securing the rooms. I apologize as I know people need to know the dates in order to plan other events. What I can tell you is we are trying to secure room at the newly built MIT Media Lab which is one of the reasons for the delay. The preference right now is for the November dates with the October dates being requested as a fall back. The decision for that was based on the few people who contacted me with strong reasons why November would be better. This included better timing to go over results for the GNOME 3 marketing campaign and more people being in the Boston area at that time due to the Linux Plumbers Conference. Hopefully I will have more information by next week. It isn’t always easy to get big institutions to move quickly, especially since the rooms are provided gratis, but we have good people on the ground helping us out with this. Thanks for your patience.[read this post in: ar de es fr it ja ko pt ru zh-CN ]
June 18, 2010
June 9, 2010
Thanks to Carlos Garnacho’s recent work with the evdev driver and Gtk+ along with Peter Hutterer’s work on getting the multitouch situation sorted out inside of X, not to mention everybody else who has contributed to the effort, I was able to get Multitouch working on my Fedora 13 powered Lenovo T410s.
All the following instructions relate to those who have N-Trig multitouch devices. Mileage may vary with other devices. To start playing around with multitouch in Fedora today you will need
- my evdev multitouch RPM packages built from Carlos’ branch
- Warning: this package obsolete xorg-x11-drv-evdev so you will no longer get updates from the Fedora repo
- Note: I’ll provide a yum repo for my packages once Koji is up and running again, for now if you don’t have an X86_64 machine you will need to rebuild the source rpm.
- If you have a N-Trig device you will also need to get the kernel Kyle built which has a fixed N-Trig driver (hopefully this will show up in an update soon).
- You will also need Carlos’ xorg.conf snippet. This is again for the
N-Trig driver but should be easily modifiable for other devices
- To play with multitouch you will need the latest Gtk+ from the xi2-playground branch
I recommend building Gtk in a jhbuild environment or at least don’t install it since it is the unstable 3.0 branch. Once the multitouch stuff has been backported to 2-20 branch I will start providing packages. I take no responsibility for the breakage of anyone’s machine due to replacing such a major system package. Thankfully, if you run inside of jhbuild you can play around all you want without fear of breaking your system. Another option might be to run inside an virtual machine but I am not sure if multitouch events will propagate correctly yet.
If you want to play with some demos you will find them inside the tests/multitouch directory of Gtk. Have fun and ping me with any issues you have. It might be nice if we got this working for Fedora 14. The pieces are certainly falling into place.[read this post in: ar de es fr it ja ko pt ru zh-CN ]
June 7, 2010
I’ll be heading to GUADEC this year thanks to the generous support the GNOME Foundation Travel Committee but that won’t be my first stop in my mega marathon travelling month of July.
- I fly out of JFK Airport on the 17th for Lyon France where I am taking the week long Robert Ash cooking course at Rue du Lac in Macon, Burgundy
- The class ends on the 23rd and my Hotel is booked for the 25th in The Hague so I am not quite sure if I will stay in Lyon or start my way up. I know I have some GNOME friends living between Lyon and The Hague so I am offering to cook dinner for anyone who will let me crash at their place for a couple of days before GUADEC.
- And then there is the main event – GUADEC. My talk is on Wednesday the 28th at noon. It shouldn’t be missed.
- To relax a bit more, save money on airfare and because I love Germany, I am heading to Berlin for a couple of days before flying back to the US
If anyone is going to be in any of the areas I will be in and wants to hang out. Let me know and I’ll see if I can make time.
[read this post in: ar de es fr it ja ko pt ru zh-CN ]